Okay, so I'm not going to do social media other than this. You wanna know what's going on? Hit me up here. I don't promise it'll be anything earth shaking, but it's what's going on with us- our nuclear family. Together we're Tay, Rae, Hae, and May. This is a recount of A day in the life of... Us!





Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hunt for a bargain


I'm getting wiser in my old age. Buying something expensive on a whim doesn't excite me any more. Knowing that we were going to put a flat screen over the mantle in our new living room, I have been researching TV prices for literally months now.


I found that we needed a plasma (vs LCD or LED) for the wide viewing angle. We measured the hearth and figured that anything 42-50" would fit best and give us the TV viewing experience in our living/dining/kitchen great room area.


So I turn to Consumer Reports-- unbiased reviews on real products. Samsung and Panasonic are the leaders in the areas in which we were looking. Samsung is not quite so friendly on the pocket-book, so Panasonic it is. More research for model (I'm talking hours spent looking and researching) and I determine that the Panasonic TC-P50S1 is the one for us.


I found the P50S1 at Sears-in stock and on ~30% sale. Taylor was skeptical that we had to space to store a TV in our mini-apartment. So I called Sears and talked to the head electronics dude. He said that the sale was going for another 2 weeks and that he doubted that he would sell out of that specific model. So I/we waited (despite my gut feeling...).


When it was time to go buy the TV, it was all out of stock, un-order-able, and they wouldn't sell us the floor model. (Take note that January is the end of the model year for TVs and people take advantage of low TV prices just before the Super Bowl.) The electronics guy called around and found the same TV in Big Spring for another $200 off!! Guess who drove to Big Spring that night?!?


It took forever to gas up and get refreshments, but we arrived at the Big Spring Sears at 7:10 last Friday. And Sears closed at 7 p.m. GRR!! But we made a little road trip of it and ate at Cowboys- a steak house in Big Spring. The had a chicken-fried rib eye! (My stomach is shrinking as Macy grows, so I didn't try it.)


The next morning (Saturday) I broke free from the family and did some house item hunting (Haley's new furniture and two rugs). Then we made a family road trip to Big Spring- again. I'd like to say that they had my TV and we went home happy, end of story. But no...


Instead of the P50S1, it was the P50X1. Uhh... the big difference is that the X is 720p v the 1080p of the S1. (Side note- knowing your stuff prevents "surprises" in the store.) The S1 was already sold out. Taylor and waffled in the store b/c we really wanted the S1, but knew it was going to be a hard find anywhere local. I knew that even though it was a 720p, the X1 is still a great product with little difference vs the 1080p S1 set.


So we bought the X1 new in the box and took it home that day. I did more researching later and found that the S1 is apparently all sold out anywhere except E-bay (and those prices were not reasonable!). We're happy as can be because we got a great TV on an awesome sale (~40% off)! Can't wait to get it all put up!


MORAL OF THE STORY:

He who has the most knowledge wins.