Okay, so I'm not going to do social media other than this. You wanna know what's going on? Hit me up here. I don't promise it'll be anything earth shaking, but it's what's going on with us- our nuclear family. Together we're Tay, Rae, Hae, and May. This is a recount of A day in the life of... Us!





Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pregnancy to Date

Today I am 35 weeks and 3 days along. Not that I usually count to the day, much less know what week I'm on, but things haven't exactly been normal lately.
I've been on bedrest for going on 13 days now. Yes the dreaded B word. It is hard for me to be still, but a parent does what a parent has to do.
Everything has been right on schedule and right on for our dates. I continued to work and had no trouble doing so, with modifications of course. Then everything changed April 23, a Friday.
During the long walk into work that morning I was having a lot of pressure "down there." My associates were concerned (as was I to a small degree), but I parlayed the inevitable. "I'll be fine. I'm already feeling better just sitting here." And so we agreed that I would take it easy that morning. Fortunately, there wasn't too much work for me that morning. In retrospect, that was definitely a God thing. I carried only 1/3 of the caseload I usually take.
Although I felt better sitting, the pressure returned when I was on my feet working. Not as bad, but still present. I began to become concerned and I confided in my "Grandma Wannabe" colleague my worst fear. Bed rest. I shouldn't have verbalized it because as soon as I did the waterworks began.
I had been in contact with my OB-Gyn nurse that morning. She assured me that as long as I wasn't having contractions I was okay, but I could come get checked if I felt the need. My colleague urged me to go get checked.
I wrapped up the loose ends at work and made plans for in case I didn't come back. And of course that spurred the water works. By then I had rested a good deal and was feeling better. I almost talked myself out of the checkup. But I went anyway.
I was actually worked in pretty quickly and underwent the, ugh, pelvic exam. Soon as Dr. Locke got to his stool. He plainly states "I'm not going to lie. I am concerned. You are 50% effaced, 1 cm dilated, and her head is right there." "You mean you felt her head?" I asked. That's not normal.
At that point I began to become concerned myself and I knew what his next words would be. As my nurse held my hand, Dr. Locke outlined exactly what "modified bedrest" consists of: I can't lay down or sit. I would be off work effective immediately and essentially bound to my own house. No taking Haley to and from school, no lifting her or even bathing her. No more volunteering at church. Taylor would have to take care of my every need. Wow!
In addition, I had to take a shot in the butt. Twice. Once on Friday and then again on Saturday. Haley just reveled in this. Saturday she even got to swab the spot and put on the band-aid. Sunday I let her take off both band-aids. She loved every second of it! The shots were Celestone (I think), a steroid to help mature Macy's lungs in case she came early. Oh, and a prescription of progesterone. That's the hormone responsible for sustaining pregnancy in the first trimester. You know, the one that makes you sleepy and moody and nauseaus and gives you breasts more tender than what the Colonel sells. So I'm back to that again. Good thing is that so far I have had no trouble sleeping through the night, even with a generous day time nap.
So after 12 full days of bed rest I'm surviving on the generosity of those who love me and my growing family. Another coworker of mine (who has first-hand experience on bed rest) brought me library books and her physical presence during a week day visit. A girlfriend brought me movies and came another time just to visit. My mother is always available for whatever I need. She brought some board games and computer games for me. And the mother-in-law has twice brought us a week's worth of food. Taylor is coming home for a quick supper and gets Haley showered and in bed. (Really, we live too far out for him to feasibly come home for supper, but he's worked that out.) My sis-in-law has scheduled a flight down here next week!
Moving forward, if Macy tries to come before 36 weeks, which happens to be Mother's Day, Dr. Locke will try to stop labor, after that it's fair game. Although I'm already tired of bedrest, I sure would like to make 37 1/2 weeks. And perhaps Macy could be born on 5-20-10. Haley's birthday is 10-20-05. Cool, huh? My next doctor's appointment is Friday. We'll see how it goes.
So that's the story so far.


Me, looking my bedrest best. Really, who do I have to impress?

Hot, huh? Uncomfortable- yes!